Avoid A Fire: Electrical Home Safety Tips

Avoid A Fire: Electrical Home Safety Tips

Did You Know? Roughly half (48%) of home electrical failure fires involved electrical distribution or lighting equipment in 2007-2011. (www.nfpa.org)

  • Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time. If outlets or switches feel warm, frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuits, or flickering or dimming lights, call a qualified electrician.
  • Make sure your home has ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) in the kitchen bathroom(s), laundry, basement, and outdoor areas.
  • Never throw water on an electrical fire, as it will only cause it to grow bigger. Use a chemical fire extinguisher instead.
  • Ceiling fans that slowly wobble are out of balance. To fix, balance the fan or reinstall.
  • Warm outlet faceplates are caused by an overly large electrical load operating on that outlet, undersized wiring or a loose electrical splice. You may need to move the device to another outlet or repair the wiring.
  • Check electric cords often for damage. Have damaged cords repaired right away. Worn cords can cause shock, short circuit or fire.
  • Always unplug an appliance before cleaning or repairing it.
  • Always unplug the toaster or other appliance when removing a piece of stuck food. A turned-off appliance is still connected to electricity until it is unplugged.